Magnet Assisted Transfection (MATra)
Magnet Assisted Transfection (MATra) is an extremely gentle, easy-to-handle, fast and highly efficient technology to transfect cells in culture. Using this new technique, nucleic acids are in a first step associated with specific magnetic nanoparticles (MagTag®). Exploiting magnetic force the full nucleic acid dose is then drawn towards and delivered into the target cells leading to efficient transfection without disturbing the membrane architecture, without causing chromosomal damage or leaving a hole in the cell membrane like other transfection technologies.
Magnet Assisted Transfection (MATra) - Best practices for best results
Magnet Assisted Transfection (MATra) is a new, gentle and powerful tool to transfect cells with all types of nucleic acids.
Magnet Assisted Transfection technology enables:
- Transfection of sophisticated and slowly dividing cells such as neuronal cells and hepatocytes.
- A non-viral transfection method for cells, that are difficult to transfect
- High transfection efficiencies using DNA, ODN and siRNA
Greatly improved transfection rates with Magnet Assisted Transfection!
For indicated cells the following methods were tested: 1: Calcium phosphate vs Magnet Assisted Lipofection, 2-4: Lipofection vs Magnet Assisted Lipofection, 5: Lipofection vs Magnet Assisted Transfection. Data kindly provided by industrial IBA customer.
Ten good reasons to use MATra technology
- Greatly improved transfection rates
- Very gentle method with almost no toxicity; membranes remain intact
- No transfection related side effects on your model system and read out
- Only low vector doses are required
- Easy protocol; transfections can be performed in original culture plates
- Functional with serum and serum-free medium
- Successfully used on many and also critical cell lines (almost 200 cell types tested positively so far)
- Highly cost-effective; no need for expensive instruments (like electroporator or particle gun)
- Combination with lipofection or viral transfection possible
- Works excellently for various types of nucleic acids including siRNA or antisense oligo transfections